Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Blue Heaven Hydrangeas and Tough Choices in the Garden - Flower Paintings by Nancy Medina Art


Blue Heaven Hydrangeas
by Nancy Medina
20X20
Oil on Deep Gallery Wrap Canvas





I clipped the blooms from my hydrangeas this evening. I originally had planned to cut some of my new irises and bring them into the studio to paint. I stood in front of the iris bed with the scissors in my hand, looking at the white irises, and the blue irises, and the deep purple, and I just could not bring myself to cut any of them. They were so tall, and fresh, and recently unfurled, and clearly enjoying their moment in the sun after a long winter.

The blue hydrangeas that traveled with me from my last workshop, however, were beginning to fade. Destined for my flower pots tomorrow, I knew the blossoms would not last much longer. Or perhaps that is just the excuse I used to have the courage to cut them. They posed quite bravely under the hot spotlight in Big Blue, my favorite vase, this evening. Here's to their sacrifice - thank you so much to these lovely blue blossoms for taking one for the team!



The studio models take a bow!





No comments:

Post a Comment