Saturday, September 26, 2015

Stop and Smell the Flowers by Kay Wyne


Stop and Smell the Flowers
Runner-up in the 2015 Catholic Foundation Plaza Arts Competition
Not For Sale

When I was painting this contemporary still life, I was thinking of the phrase, “Stop and Smell the Flowers”, which is the title of this painting.  I wanted to create a unique painting with the beautiful colors and interesting shapes in the arrangement that I had set up in the studio, and transfer them to the canvas.   There is something special about painting from life...it is so much better than painting from memory or even a photo.  Painting this floral arrangement from life gave me the opportunity to capture the true essence of the flowers.  I want the viewer to feel the fullness and freshness that I experienced while painting.  I used a palette knife and wide brush to apply the thick, juicy oils on the canvas.  

I can't wait to see the winner of the Plaza Arts Competition...the unveiling of the art on the building will take place next month.  Congrats to the winner, Stuart Hausmann.

I am back in the studio getting ready for an exhibit in February, 2016...sounds like it is far away, but actually it is right around the corner.   I have several more florals on the easel, and working on some equine paintings.  Thanks for looking at this blog....Kay Wyne 

No comments:

Post a Comment