Wednesday, March 25, 2015

New Orleans Garden District Painting by Texas Artist Niki Gulley

"Oak Beauties," New Orleans  ©2015 Niki Gulley
12" x 9" palette knife oil painting

On our plein air painting and photography workshop my husband and I taught in New Orleans this fall, we rode the trolley to the Garden District and set out to capture the beautiful architecture so distinctive of the area. I was attracted to this grand pink house, and in particular I loved the huge old oak tree framing it. The dappled light hitting the trunk was so striking that I decided to accentuate that in my painting with a multitude of colors and values while making the background soft to keep the composition from becoming too cluttered. The sheer size and age of the trees in New Orleans is incredible, which I set out to show juxtaposing the massive oak against the smaller two-story homes in the distance. Created with palette knife and a lot of oil paint, this canvas is loaded with texture and uplifting colors so that you feel the joy and energy of hanging out in New Orleans.

"Oak Beauties" along with several of my new palette knife paintings will be featured in my One Woman Show, hosted at the Good Art Company Gallery in Fredericksburg, TX. If interested in more information on pricing or purchasing this palette knife New Orleans painting, please contact The Good Art Company.


The Good Art Company Gallery
Niki Gulley - One Woman Show
Opening Reception / Meet the Artist - April 3rd, 5pm - 9pm
Show continuing through April
218 West Main St.
Fredericksburg, TX

For more information on upcoming Plein-Air Painting and Photography Art Treks workshops, please visit http://www.nikigulley.com/artreks.

To see more of my contemporary impressionistic landscape paintings, visit nikigulley.com.

E-mail - Niki Gulley

No comments:

Post a Comment